We started with BCSCR. We expand with CLPlus!
From the project abstract…
CLPlus will impact more than 95,858 low-income students (300,541 overall) in 80 eligible districts throughout AZ, CO, NM, TX, and UT. CLPlus has 3 major components, as follows.
School-based activities: after school tutoring in reading and literacy for 14,000 students, teacher professional development to more than 5,000 teachers, distribution of more than 19,500 classroom books and accompanying curricular resources.
Community-based activities: Community reading blogs, community reading events, parent workshops on helping kids learn to read well, partnerships with literacy organizations, and distribution of more than 95,000 books in public places and community events.
Early literacy activities: Development of early literacy and oral language resources, early childhood educator training, parent workshops for improving early literacy development, distribution of early literacy books and other resources materials through medical service offices that specialize in infants and young children, and training for early childhood healthcare providers to work with parents on early literacy.
- 80% of participating 4-year-old children will achieve significant gains in oral language skills
- 80% of participating 4th grade students will demonstrate student growth over the past year on State reading or language arts assessments
- 80% of participating 8th grade students will demonstrate student growth over the past year on State reading or language arts assessments
- 75% of participating schools will demonstrate an increased book-to-student ratio over the prior year
- 85% of participating children will receive at least one free grade- and language-appropriate book of their own.
- 15 percentage point increase in the percentage of parents who report reading with their children at least 4 times per week
- 65% of participating teachers and participating early childhood educators will indicate improvements in their literacy instruction.